As a Scientist within Scenic Biotech, you will apply our Cell-Seq technology to identify novel targets for rare genetic disorders and set up assays and disease models to validate candidate targets. You will actively participate in planning, executing, analyzing and reporting on experimental findings.
Responsibilities and abilities
• You plan and execute a defined research project;
• You are able to iterate through hypothesis generation on biological mechanisms, experimental design to (dis)-prove these and analyzing results in larger biological context;
• Generate scientific data through performing wet-lab experiments;
• Process literature to gain expertise in relevant disease-related processes;
• Generate regular reports on project progress and regularly present at internal science meetings;
• Develop novel disease models and/or assays for target discovery and drug development;
• Identify novel disease/indication opportunities.
Qualifications and experience
• PhD in relevant subject such as Biochemistry, Pharmacy or Chemistry;
• 0-2 years’ work experience in a biomedical research environment after your PhD;
• Broad interest in and understanding of cellular disease mechanisms;
• Advanced knowledge and research expertise in lysosomal, mitochondrial, or other metabolic disorders is an advantage;
• Proven record of scientific creativity, the ability to come up with new ideas and look beyond the limitation of whatever field previously worked in;
• Proven and career appropriate productivity as illustrated by first author publications in top-tiered international journals or patents;
• Fluently in English: written and oral.
• Considerable tenacity, energy and drive, self-motivated and capable of setting his/her own targets;
• Broad interest and flexibility to work on diverse biological topics relevant to human disease;
• Able to work and thrive in a dynamic environment;
• Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Attention for detail and high experimental and scientific standards.
• Employment for 32-40 hours/week;
• A stimulating environment with the opportunity to be part of an enthusiastic team that together is building the company from the ground up;
• Attention for personal development;
• The possibility to contribute to the development of novel therapeutic products for patients;
• A competitive remuneration package, including sharing in the success of the company.
At Scenic, we are pioneering the field of genetic modifiers for rare genetic diseases. Using our revolutionary target discovery platform, we can systematically identify genes that suppress the detrimental consequences of a disease-causing process, unlocking new biology on a daily basis. With our diverse and international team (~20), we created a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment, where we work together to investigate these genes as potential drug targets and translate this into the development of innovative and new drugs. The lead program for the development of a small molecule in the immuno-oncology space is the result of this approach and additional exciting programs in other indications are in progress.
We are passionate to make a difference and are currently recruiting highly motivated talents with various backgrounds to be part of our innovative journey towards the identification of drug targets and development of new therapies for patients suffering from diseases with an urgent medical need. Scenic Biotech is located in Amsterdam, one of the most vibrant European cities and is consistently ranked among the worlds’ cities with the highest quality of life.
Do you want to join our team as our new Scientist? Then we'd love to hear about you!
Scenic Biotech B.V.