4. Program Director to drive a therapeutic program in rare diseases
Scenic Biotech is now looking for a Program Director to drive a therapeutic program in rare diseases
The Program Director will initiate, develop and drive a therapeutic program through the various stages of target discovery, drug discovery to drug development. A program may concern an already identified novel drug target or a project in which a novel target is still to be identified. You will be responsible for the generation and execution of a project plan that details all scientific activities and other critical aspects of a program, including business intelligence, intellectual property, budgets etc.
As a Program Director, you will be the point person in the organization for one of the rare disease programs and will develop deep expertise in a specific disease area, including its clinical aspects. You will be expected to be on top of the scientific literature, travel to conferences and develop relationships with key opinion leaders in the field. You will work closely together with the Director Target Discovery, Sr. Director Drug Discovery, Chief Scientific Officer and other team members, as required.
For this demanding position, we are looking for exceptional individuals with highly developed scientific, social and organizational skills that are eager to learn and expand their skill set – experience in target and drug discovery is an advantage but not essential.
• Initiate and develop a complex R&D program;
• Maintain the overview of a whole project and all contributors to that project;
• Leading a team towards its goal and inspire the team to work together, sharing knowledge, experience and vision;
• Be an expert in relevant disease areas or able to rapidly and accurately process literature to gain expertise in diverse disease-related processes;
• Generate regular reports on program progress, including timelines and budget implications in case of project deviations;
• Generate data packages for internal and external use;
• Guide, instruct and motivate scientists and research assistants according to the needs of the project;
• Engage with Contract Research Organizations (CRO’s) to setup research projects and monitor and manage their work;
• Place the program within the context of the field and relate the direction of the program to the progress within that field.
Qualifications and experience
• PhD in life science field, such as medical biology, biology or a similar field with proven leadership skills (e.g. group leader or senior role in academic or pharma/biotech environment);
• Extensive expertise in one or several of the following areas: biochemistry, molecular biology/genetics, cell biology, pathobiology, pharmacology or medicinal chemistry;
• Broad understanding of cellular disease mechanisms;
• Exceptional skills to interpret literature or complex data;
• Proven track record of success in research (for example as illustrated by a strong publication or patent record or a significant contribution to (pre)clinical success);
• Experience with project management and management of a broad range of stakeholders;
• Experience with the management of collaborations or outsourcing of R&D activities is an advantage;
• Experience with supervision of other scientists and research assistants;
• Experience in biotech/pharma is an advantage.
• Fast thinker who makes connections/ connects the dots easily, thinks outside the box, has an open mind and can put his concepts/theories into practice;
• Ability and active interest to quickly learn the basic skills and language in fields outside current expertise. Think for example of drug development, medicinal chemistry, in vivo disease modeling, but also IP law, business development, etc;
• Considerable tenacity, energy and drive, self-motivation;
• Strong leadership skills in supervising and managing scientific personnel;
• Strong communication skills and able to motivate and inspire all relevant stakeholders;
• Broad interest and flexibility to work on diverse biological topics relevant to human disease;
• Affinity to work in a high paced start-up, which means being flexible, being able to deal with uncertainty and work and thrive in a highly dynamic environment.
• Employment for 32-40 hours/week;
• A stimulating environment with the opportunity to be part of an enthusiastic team that together is building the company from the ground up;
• Attention for personal development;
• The possibility to contribute to the development of novel therapeutic products for patients;
• A competitive remuneration package, including sharing in the success of the company, and attention for personal development.
About Scenic Biotech
At Scenic, we are pioneering the field of genetic modifiers for rare genetic diseases. Using our revolutionary target discovery platform, we can systematically identify genes that suppress the detrimental consequences of a disease-causing process, unlocking new biology on a daily basis. With our diverse and international team (~20), we created a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary environment, where we work together to investigate these genes as potential drug targets and translate this into the development of innovative and new drugs. The lead program for the development of a small molecule in the immuno-oncology space is the result of this approach and additional exciting programs in other indications are in progress.
We are passionate to make a difference and are currently recruiting highly motivated talents with various backgrounds to be part of our innovative journey towards the identification of drug targets and development of new therapies for patients suffering from diseases with an urgent medical need. Scenic Biotech is located in Amsterdam, one of the most vibrant European cities and is consistently ranked among the worlds’ cities with the highest quality of life.
Are you our new team member?
If this vacancy is the perfect next step
in your career, please send your resume and cover letter before October 3rd, 2020 to email@example.com
attn. Hannah Wensink (Recruiter). Please mention the number of this vacancy (no.4
) in your application.
Applications without cover letter will not be processed.
Scenic Biotech B.V.